Traveling with Your Shih Tzu? 15 Tips to Make the Trip as Stress-Free as Possible
Traveling with your Shih Tzu is so much easier now, what with all those pet-friendly hotels and tourist attractions. No need to leave them behind, which would make your holiday feel lacking because you’re missing your furry friend.
Whether it’s the first time or the second, ample preparations is a must. Make pet travel easy for both you and your dog with these tips.
- Give your dog an opportunity to stay in an unfamiliar environment, to observe their behavior. Stay at a local hotel or a friend’s house for a night, then learn as much as you can about what you need to do and not to do.
- Make sure your dog is properly microchipped, and the company has your current information. This will prove helpful in case you lose your dog in a foreign country, and you need help locating them.
- Get all the papers ready, from medical records to health certificates. This way, you’ll pass through security quickly and easily. This is also one way to ensure your dog is fit for travel, especially for long-haul trips.
- Avoid feeding your dog 3 hours before travel time, so they won’t have to use the bathroom while in transit. But make sure to teach them to potty on command, just in case.
- For a multi-leg flight, see that there is room for your dog to walk and go potty. Check if an airport have potty areas for pets, and arrange your flights accordingly.