Although the Shih Tzu breed is generally long-lived and healthy, they still require good nutrition throughout their lives. Apart from regular exercise, the health of your four-legged friend depends on what you feed them. While buying dog food may be more convenient, making a home-cooked meal for your furry companion doesn’t hurt every once in a while. One of the best things you can make for your pet is a dish made of eggs and potatoes.
Why this specific diet?
A Shih Tzu is known for its coat and keeping that in top form requires a healthy, balanced and customized diet containing all the necessary vitamins. Since hip dysplasia is common with this breed, its important that their diet have sufficient amount of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus (which potatoes are rich in) and omega-3 and omega-6 oils. All of these vitamins allow your dog to develop not only strong bones and teeth but maintain their lustrous coat as well.
Shih Tzus require a diet containing about 50% high-quality protein which should come from sources such as raw eggs, organ meat (heart, liver and kidneys), as well as dairy products (that is, if they are not lactose intolerant). Beef, chicken, lamb and even oily fish like salmon are also good for your dog.
Egg and Potato Recipe
This diet helps control weight, builds lean muscle mass and improves their skin and coat. This recipe includes salmon, which as mentioned earlier is rich in oils that keep your Shih Tzus coat looking great. Egg shells will be included in making the dish as it ups the calcium content.
This recipe makes 2 servings.
Making the dish
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 2 cups boiled potatoes
- 3 large eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- egg shells (from two of the eggs), pulverized using a grinder (or you can do it yourself but just make sure they are really grounded)
- ½ of a can of salmon in brine (the one with bones)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Here are the tools and equipment you will need:
- a bowl
- coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle (or whatever you choose to pulverize the egg shells)
Here’s how to combine all the ingredients:
- Mash the eggs and the potatoes in a bowl
- Make sure the salmon doesn’t have large bone fragments by breaking it up with a fork
- Add the salmon into the egg and potato mixture then divide into two equal parts (you can refrigerate the other half of the mixture for using later)
- Heat one part of the mixture in the saucepan until steaming
- Allow to cool before serving
While this diet does contain vitamins your dog needs for good health, it is not a complete diet on its own. Meaning, don’t be tempted to feed this to your Shih Tzu everyday. As mentioned earlier, whipping up a home-cooked meal for them every once in a while is a good idea.