We almost always turn to packaged dog food when it comes to our dog’s nutrition. While these food products do contain the necessary vitamins to keep our furry pals in shape and in good condition, sometimes your beloved Shih Tzu deserves a break from packaged meals.
From time to time, it’s helpful to cook them a special meal in the kitchen. This helps balance out their diet to make sure they are getting sufficient nutrition.
Why this specific diet?
A Shih Tzu’s diet should contain at least 50% high-quality protein and where better to get it than in chicken? Beef, lamb and salmon are also good sources of protein. Organ meats serve as a protein source as well but refrain from using more then 5% of them as they are rich in saturated fats.
Rice is comprised of 90% carbohydrates, 8% potein and 2% fat. White rice, specifically, is a source of magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, selenium, iron, folic acid, thiamine and niacin.
Chicken and Rice Recipe
An adult Shi Tzu typically weighs between nine to 16 pounds, and this recipe is good for an adult, 10-pound dog. Your dog can benefit from customized diet once in a while so they get all the vitamins and minerals they need to be healthier and therefore, live longer.
This recipe serves 10.
Making the dish
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 kg lean, boneless raw chicken
- 7 tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 cups frozen peas (thaw it out before cooking the dish)
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 liter water
- 2 tsps potassium chloride salt substitute
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tbsp bone meal powder
- 2 cans sardines in tomato sauce
- 10 cups cooked white rice
Here are the tools and equipment you will need:
- fry pan
- large stockpot or saucepan
Here’s how to combine all the ingredients:
- Slice the chicken. Stir fry in batches using half the vegetable oil.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large stockpot. Add the vegetables then stir for five minutes.
- Add the water, salt and bone meal powder. Cook on low heat for an hour.
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Add rice and sardines. Combine with chicken.
- Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions then use one portion then store the rest in the freezer.
- Heat the one portion until it is hot and steamy. Let it cool to room temperature before serving.
If your dog doesn’t eat the food within the hour, you have to discard it.
Note on portions kept in freezer
Thaw out the portion in the fridge first. After that, reheat it until its hot and steamy. Make sure it’s at room temperature before serving it to your dog.
Variety is key when it comes to taking care of a dog, and alternating between dry food and home-cooked meals helps keep your four-legged companion healthier and happier. Since this meal is good for two servings, you can store the rest in the freezer and alternate it with your pooch’s dog food.