We shower our pets with affection and may even go to great lengths to whip them up a meal in the kitchen. We also provide them with treats when they are being really good dogs. But rather than settle for those store-bought goodies, why not take some time to bake some healthy treats for your beloved pooch?
Why bake when we can buy?
There’s absolutely nothing wrong if you want to opt for treats bought at the pet store. Those are fun, colorful, come in different shapes and sizes and obviously, your dog loves them too. But you also have to consider that a healthy diet is essential for your dog’s overall condition and longevity. As such, it helps to balance out the store-bought items with some home-cooked goodness.
While we know we can cook for our four-legged companions, baking them a treat isn’t too shabby either. This is a great way to experiment with what your dog loves best and it allows you to use more healthy and natural ingredients as well.
Another good thing to point out is that packaged treats can be filled with artificial flavors and colors as well as be using low-quality ingredients. The labeling requirements for dog products hasn’t reached the standard that we humans enjoy yet. So every once in a while, make something special for your pooch – they’ll surely love it!
Is there any ingredient to avoid?
Humans and dogs may share a bond, but there are definitely food items we enjoy that they couldn’t, and these include:
- onions and garlic (these also include garlic and onion powder) – these damage red blood cells
- stock cubes and powders – may contain onion
- baby food – may contain onion powder
The following are also toxic for dogs:
- chocolate and coffee
- raisins, grapes and sultanas
- macadamias and walnuts
- green potatoes
- artificial sweeteners
A Very Simple Biscuit Recipe
This is one good way to start off making your own dog treats. The recipe is pretty simple and you can add some really good stuff that are good for your pet like canned salmon.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 2 cups flour (you can substitute this with rice flour if you want)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ cup hot water with 1 tsp of salt-reduced stock
Here’s how to make the biscuits:
- In a bowl, whisk the oil and egg. Add the flour.
- Add water and stock mixture gradually in the oil and egg mixture until the desired consistency is reached.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface. Cut the dough using a biscuit cutter. Alternatively, you can use your hands to shape the dough if the consistency is softer. Put the cut or shaped dough on a baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
Making your own treats allows you to experiment with what works best for your furry friend. When serving them a new treat, make sure to give it in small sizes so they can test it out first.